Hello Joe,

here are my 2 cents ;)

Sunday, September 2, 2007, 9:28:55 PM, you wrote:

> Hello,

> I maintain a large webmail host (I bet you can figure out which one) for
> free/paid accounts that sends out tens of thousands of emails a day. We're
> not quite Yahoo Mail or Hotmail, but we're pretty big. We're looking to scan
> outbound mail using SpamAssassin and I'm hoping that someone here might have
> some suggestions or feedback on what the best way to configure this would
> be. I've seen a handful of posts about this in the archive, so I know it's
> come up before.

> My plan is to scan all outbound mail and drop all mails that match to a log
> file or a separate directory where they can be hand-reviewed by someone in
> our customer service department. We also wouldn't want to actually modify
> the mails on the way out-- so we wouldn't add the spamassassin mail headers.

no word about MTA, from other answers its look like sendmail.
for high volume and this kind of things there is something fast and
relatively easy ;)
- use qmail as GW for outbond mails / dont know how webamail is using
smtp, but can be setup to use qmail IP
- on qmail use simscan with SA -  its in C and thus fast
- in simscan you can easily set quarantine to directory, and best
thing is that message in qrt. is untouched, clear message as come to
smtp.
- postprocessing is easy after that
- SA of course must be customized for envir. but that is another story

> Does anyone here have practical experience or advice, tweaks, etc. that
> would help us to implement this sort of thing? (I know the volume will be
> fairly high, but a nice farm of machines all running spamd should be able to
> load balance that part fairly well. It's the rules I'm worried about and how
> to make the log/discard work the way I want.)

if interested in help, contact me off list
Miki

--
Best regards,
 Peter                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]