Quoting Rajkumar S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi,
>
> Does any one seeing increasing smtp concurrency for the past couple of
> weeks? I run couple of (qmail/simscan/spamassassin) mail servers and
> all experience the same problem. The spam does not increase, but this
> is hogging my mail servers. Probably a new crop of spamming tools?
>
> I am attaching one qmail-mtrg graph that shows the problem.
>
> http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2224/smtpmonthyq4.png
>
> raj

Some botnets are starting to hold mail connections open for much longer after
getting a 5xxx blacklist response.  Reason is unknown; could be coding errors
or deliberate.  Many people are changing their smtpd timeouts form the RFC 300
seconds down to 45 seconds:

  http://blogs.msdn.com/tzink/archive/2007/09/01/new-spamming-tactic.aspx

Here's the postfix for it:

## to deal with botnets not hanging up
# Drop default from RFC limit of 300s to 45s
#
smtpd_timeout = 45s

Some people are even using 10 seconds, which seems short to me.  The RFC
requires 300 seconds.

Jeff C.