Jari Fredriksson wrote:
The one thing he does NOT want to do is what seems to be
most common with Fedora Core - use it for filtering each
email as you fetch it using evolution. You find yourself
with long delays in an interactive situation. Turn off
any SpamAssassin access in evolution and tell it to fetch
from a pop3 or imap port on your local machine. Use the
fetchmail, procmail, dovecot sort of solution.

                 ->SA-|
                 |    \/
 fetchmail-----> procmail----> mailbox -----> dovecot

Or fetchmail, maildrop, Courier IMAP sort of solution.

more generally:

   (fetchmail|getmail|...) -> (MTA|MDA) -> SA -> (MTA|MDA) -> mailbox
If find maildrop much less cryptic to use and configure that procmail.

true. but some linux users seem to have packaging|build problems... (example 1: maildrop built with authlib, but authlib not configured or authdaemon not running. example 2: maildrop built without authlib, but relies on authlib. example 3: messing with permissions/setuid... )
 Courier IMAP I just use, dunno how it differs from Dovecot. I use Maildir
based configuration, that Courier handles  well, but I guess dovecot too.

sure. and you can use maildrop with dovecot of course. (I use both courier and dovecot, but will certainly move everything to dovecot).