RinkWorks wrote:

> So it's a mystery, I guess, but case closed.  But thank you very much for
> giving this matter
> your attention.

I was wrong -- the case is still open.  But I found out why Bayes wasn't
working and then kicked in.

Basically, I discovered that Spam Assassin wasn't paying attention to the
whitelist_from statements in my user_prefs file.  So I wondered if it was
using a different .spamassassin directory somewhere.  Sure enough, there's a
/var/spool/exim4/.spamassassin directory.  The reason why Bayesian filtering
wasn't working, then suddenly kicked in, is because *THAT* director's
bayesian filtering database hadn't gotten enough hams and spams yet, but
eventually it autolearned enough of both to kick in.

That directory is owned by the "Debian-exim4" user, which is the user that
owns the exim4 daemon process.  However, the "spamd" processes are running
as root.

There must be a way to have spamd run in a way that it looks at each
individual user's .spamassassin directory instead of the mail daemon user.
I'd think that would be a common thing.  But I can't figure out how to set
it up that way.

Anybody know?

Just to reiterate from before, when "/etc/init.d/spamassassin start" runs, I
get a process that looks like this:

root     25165  0.0  1.3  32176 28780 ?        SNs  Sep07   0:05
/usr/sbin/spamd --create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir -d
--pidfile=/var/run/spamd.pid

Thanks in advance.