These terms depend upon the registrar offering the service.

However, mostly they say that:

        "Whois database is provided by XXXXXX for information purposes only,
        and to assist persons in obtaining information about or related to a
        domain name registration record."

So, I don't see the problem here: we are attempting to obtain information
about or related to a domain name registration record. We don't even care of
contacts...

Giampaolo