This is not the sole info that could somehow be useful in spotting spam out.
I would suggest that also the nameservers defined in the registrar record,
as well as perhaps the registrar name, could be used in penalize spam.

> So, how can we get whois data without going directly to whois for every
> query?

Actually, I don't see many ways. Please note some registrar may even bring
privacy-related reasons, or even  put the "industrial secret" mark on the
data they have in their database, thereby not allowing you any access to it.
So, even whois replies are not guaranteed to give enough hints...

I guess that the main problem in this is in the terms of the agreement
registrars sign with ICANN: that agreement doesn't specify what data should
be present in a whois reply, nor who is entitled to use that service...

Giampaolo