hanz wrote:
Thanks for the explanation and quick replies from everyone. I was definitely
wrong in my assumption on how botnet works.

I think I understand the issue now and my problem can easily be fixed by
skipping the IPs or my internal forwarders.

That is  adding the following to botnet.cf fixed it.

botnet_skip_ip                  ^128\.6\.72\.254$
botnet_skip_ip                  ^128\.6\.72\.72$
botnet_skip_ip                  ^128\.6\.31\.85$
botnet_skip_ip                  ^128\.6\.31\.86$

It sounds like you haven't configured SpamAssassin for use on your network if the above config is necessary to make the Botnet plugin work (assuming the Botnet plugin DTRT in regards to what IPs it checks).

You should have the IPs of your internal forwarders included in your trusted and internal network of your SpamAssassin config, along with any other appropriate IPs.

Daryl