> > sa-update does NOT feed a local blocklist generated by *my*
> particular
> > corpus of spam emails.  Think of it as the RBL equivalent of
> > sitewide-bayes.  Or think of it as a way of SA saying "when
> I get twelve
> > spams of score 10+ from ip 208.23.118.172...I will feed the
> > auto-expiring RBL, which *SENDMAIL* works off of, thus keeping my
> > *SPAMASSASSIN* load lower.
>
> How do you call SpamAssassin?
>
> If whatever calls SpamAssassin in your setup knows what IP the
> connecting relay has, it can hopefully also do what you describe
> above. SpamAssassin doesn't really need to support this (through
> plugins or anything else) for it to be possible (and feasible).

And I did something very similar as well. The problem I found is that you
need a very large white list to avoid blocking big ISPs for a sudden flood
of spam. I ended up rejecting legitimate email far too often from the
temporary block. I still like the idea and would do it in a second if I
could change the 5xx reject to a 4xx try later type of block. But I can't'
without switching to a different MTA.

Bret