> Philipp Snizek wrote:
>> You use Bayes?
>> Have you tried turning off auto_expire? From my expierence this can
>> cause
>> significant performance issues.
>>
> It shouldn't cause performance issues. It should only cause, at worst,
> one message every 12 hours or so to take a long time (ie: 10 minutes).
>
> Unless you've got something that times out and winds up killing it
> mid-expire.. in which case you'll end up retrying that expire
> indefinitely.

Quite a number of emails experienced a 10-minute timeout at spamc because
of per-user bayes and timed out. They were forwarded unchecked to the
user's inbox. Back then I had the impression that the more often the spamc
children timed out the worse everything got.
By manually expiring single user accounts I could reduce the timeouts even
to zero withing 48 hours but it never could be considered as a solved
issue.
Running bayes expire manually on a per user basis was not a good idea.

> Also, if you do turn it off, you *MUST* run sa-learn --force-expire on a
> regular basis, preferably via a cronjob. If you've got a per-user bayes
> config, you *MUST* run this as every user. Otherwise your bayes DB's
> will grow without bound.

That's what I do every 24 hours (environment: 1700 users).
Also, I changed from per-user bayes to global bayes. Scanning performance
increased, bayes db is cleaned up and never larger than 300k tokens
(before on a bayes-per-user basis: 70 million tokens).
Spamd has been running very nicely since the changes.

- Philipp