On Dec 12, 2007, at 11:09 PM, Mark wrote:

Since rating.cloudmark.com stopped offering their services, I was wondering whether someone here knows of another reliable reputation service like that? I had such nice SA rules for it, and, now that they're gone, I miss that
functionality.

My company, Karmasphere, is building a domain reputation service, to complement all the SPF/DKIM stuff that's happened lately.

In addition to reporting the direct reputation of domains, it discovers all the nameservers, MXes, and other IPs associated with a domain, and returns a score based on the reputation of those IPs as well. And it does a bunch of other stuff also.

Until the whitepaper is done, I can offer a sneak preview at http:// labs.karmasphere.org/demo/

Do look at the graphviz output to see what it's doing. That's our development site so it isn't running against every one of the DNSBL/ DNSWL/RHSBL/RHSWL reputation sources that we've syndicated, but it's enough to give you the general idea.

Recent versions of SA do something like this, but relatively slowly; we've written the software in Java to scale to several hundred queries a second so ISPs can use it.

Since this goes beyond rsync/rbldnsd, it is difficult for us to apply the usual model of volunteer-run mirrors. That model tends to be painful anyway; once a DNSBL goes into SA, it starts to get hammered. The problem with offering good stuff for free is that everybody uses it and then it starts operating in the red and it goes away. Or you end up with "Futureproofing Spamhaus". With that in mind, we're setting up a payment mechanism to ensure that the service can, at the very least, not run at a loss. This has been consuming a lot of time so please be patient.