hi michael,

> I am the official ports maintainer for the SA port on Freebsd.

:-)

> I notice you are using the ports version of openssl,

yes

> but not the ports version of SA (you are using SVN) and you are mixing a ports
> version of openssl with the SVN version of SA.

since SA project is 'fast moving' in terms of fixes/patches, e.g. re:
sa-compile fixes etc, lots of what i want/need is NOT in the release
(yet) but IS in the 32x branch svn.

i tried, initially, to clone a local port to handle SVN rather than
release tarball, but borked it badly. :-/

so, i reverted to my tried-n-true-on-osx svn process.

after slogging about in src, i've stumbled on "the fix", simply adding

      CFLAGS == CPPFLAGS

i.e., this works without a hitch (still using the portinstalled-openssl ...)

  setenv LDFLAGS   "-L/usr/local/lib"
  setenv CPPFLAGS  "-I/usr/local/include"
  setenv CFLAGS    $CPPFLAGS

  cd /usr/local/build/spamassassin
  perl Makefile.PL \
   PREFIX=/usr/local \
   DATADIR=/usr/local/etc/SA/Dist \
   CONFDIR=/usr/local/etc/SA/Local \
   LOCALSTATEDIR=/usr/local/etc/SA/Updates \
   ENABLE_SSL="yes"

  cd /usr/local/build/spamassassin/spamc

  perl version.h.pl
  ./configure --enable-ssl

  cd ../
  make
  make install

kind of odd that the CFLAGS spec is req'd ... don't know whether
that's expected behavior &/or something that can/should be
accommodated in the port.

cheers!