I've got a few questions for everyone concerning load balancing Spam Assassin.

I've currently got a 10 node spam assassin cluster, and have been using round-robin DNS to load balance across them, but Im wondering what other people recommend?

The benefit of DNS seems to be that spamc will try all nodes in the cluster, as each proceeding node times out.

With a rounb robin policy on a hardware load balancer, once the connection is routed to a specific 'worker bee', if that machine times out, the request will fail, and the mail wont get scanned. However, more intelligent hardware load balancing setups can monitor the work on each node, and take it out of service as necessary.

What methods do other people use?

Also, when running a round-robin based cluster, is there any problem having a mix of machines with different performance capacities? i.e. If I have a 10 node cluster, and 3 of the servers are much slower than the others, will it impact performance of the cluster as a whole? Even if I limit the number of spamd that run to a lower value than the higher performance machines?

Thanks in advance!