----- Original Message -----
>Shortcircuiting[1] makes a big difference here. My average scan time is
>2.7 seconds (200k messages, full network tests and 2x1Ghz Sun server,
>includes some amavisd-new overhead). Almost 40% of my traffic is simply
>shortcircuited with (BAYES_00 && RELAY_XX) rule. My bayes works very well
>and messages originating from my country is another sure sign of ham.
>Another 10% by WHITELIST_* rules. I probably could get away with just
>using BAYES_00 alone for shortcircuiting, but I don't need the extra
>performance. So profile your traffic and find common patterns.
>
>[1] http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ShortcircuitingRuleset

I'll look into the link, thanks. What exactly do you mean by profiling?

I've been racking my brains on how to gather a quantity of email from my
users and then figure out a way to read through them to decide if they are
ham or spam. No matter how I look at it, it seems a monumental job to me.
So I went with the idea of checking which rules trigger and which don't.

=================================
Kevin W. Gagel
Network Administrator
Information Technology Services
(250) 562-2131 local 5448
My Blog:
http://mail.cnc.bc.ca/blogs/gagel
My File share:
http://mail.cnc.bc.ca/users/gagel

The College of New Caledonia, Visit us at http://www.cnc.bc.ca
Virus scanning is done on all incoming and outgoing email.
Anti-spam information for CNC can be found at http://gateway.cnc.bc.ca