On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, George Georgalis wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 09:41:58AM -0800, John D. Hardin wrote:
>
> >Neither am I. Another thing to consider is the fraction of defined
> >rules that actually hit and affect the score is rather small. The
> >greatest optimization would be to not test REs you know will fail;
> >but how do you do *that*?
>
> thanks for all the followups on my inquiry. I'm glad the topic is/was
> considered and it looks like there is some room for development, but
> I now realize it is not as simple as I thought it might have been.
> In answer to above question, maybe the tests need their own scoring?
> eg fast tests and with big spam scores get a higher test score than
> slow tests with low spam scores.
>
> maybe if there was some way to establish a hierachy at startup
> which groups rule processing into nodes. some nodes finish
> quickly, some have dependencies, some are negative, etc.

Loren mentioned to me in a private email: "common subexpressions".

It would be theoretically possible to analyze all the rules in a given
set (e.g. body rules) to extract common subexpressions and develop a
processing/pruning tree based on that. You'd probably gain some
performance scanning messages, but at the cost of how much
startup/compiling time?

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To prevent conflict and violence from undermining development,
 effective disarmament programmes are vital...
                      -- the UN, who "doesn't want to confiscate guns"
 5 days until the 41st anniversary of the loss of Apollo 1