Let me try this again:

We're running SpamAssassin from MIMEDefang 2.63 on RedHat Linux Enterprise Server 5. With previous versions, I'd hacked our site-wide configuration file to use a local Spamhaus mirror. The file I hacked was the MIMEDefang config file sa-mimedefang.cf, which is equivalent to hacking the site-wide local.cf file in a plain SpamAssassin setup. I.e., I am specifically NOT hacking any of the files in /usr/share/spamassassin.

My hack was thus:

grep zen /usr/share/spamassassin/20_dnsbl_tests.cf >> sa-mimedefang.cf

and then I hacked the result "header" lines, substituting the domainname our local mirror uses for "zen.spamhaus.org."

In versions prior to 3.2.4, this hack worked. SpamAssassin used our local Spamhaus mirror, and RVCD_IN_XBL, RCVD_IN_PBL, and RCVD_IN_SBL hits were appearing in our logs.

But when I upgraded SpamAssassin to 3.2.4, the hack broke. A look at the BIND query logs showed that SpamAssassin was still querying the mirror, but now, the Spamhaus tests were no longer showing up in the logs.

I appreciate the advice to hack our DNS configuration, but I'd prefer to keep all my SpamAssassin tweaks in the SpamAssassin config file and not have to document and (subsequently remember to actually look at the documentation ;) ) that I had to hack DNS as well.

So, is it possible to hack the site-wide SpamAssassin config file (in my case, MIMEDefang's sa-mimedefang.cf) to use our local Spamhaus mirror?

Thanks.

--
Karl Boyken, system administrator [EMAIL PROTECTED] 303A MLH, Dept. of Comp. Sci. http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~boyken/ The U. of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 319-335-2730 (voice) 319-335-3668 (fax)