I did actually pull out the number of tokens and I have quite a few in there:

0.000          0          3          0  non-token data: bayes db version
0.000          0      23930          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0       8304          0  non-token data: nham
0.000          0     200096          0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000          0 1175826856          0  non-token data: oldest atime
0.000          0 1201535593          0  non-token data: newest atime
0.000 0 0 0 non-token data: last journal sync atime
0.000          0 1201492913          0  non-token data: last expiry atime
0.000 0 91902 0 non-token data: last expire atime delta 0.000 0 111416 0 non-token data: last expire reduction count

So I'm not worried about not having any training. And the spamassassin -D bayes <message.txt I assumed you meant spamassassin -D bayes > message.txt, but in any case I let it run for about 30 minutes and it didn't return any data, which seemed very strange.

I also tried reinstalling the perls bayes modules from cpan, which did update, but didn't correct the problem. I've sat there and watched /var/log/current for quite a while, and watched the debug info. It's so strange bayes seems to load, as in it will learn and accesses the database, adds new tokens, etc. But doesn't actually score. I've checked all my configuration files and can't find anything weird. I'm at a loss.

Thanks so much for your response

--Mitch

Matt Kettler wrote:
Matt Kettler wrote:
Mitchell Hudson wrote:
Hello there,

I have spamassassin loaded and is running pretty well, it's supposed to be using bayes and I can't find any errors that would tell me why it's not, but it's not. When I do a debug log there are no db connection errors, in fact it's auto-learning just fine. I've put in a few thousand learning e-mails of both spam and ham so I know it's over the min limit. Basically everything looks like it's supposed to except there's no bayes header in the spamassassin headers and when I tail -f /var/log/spamd/current when it says which tests it runs bayes is never present. So basically I'm hoping there's a secret ninja option that says 'no really I would like to use bayes'. In any case thoughts would be appreciated.

spamassassin -V:
SpamAssassin version 3.2.0

I do use a control panel called hsphere, but it calls spamassassin like this: /usr/bin/perl -T -w /hsphere/shared/bin/spamd --max-children=2 --max-conn-per-child=5 --nouser-config --sql-config --username=vpopmail --socketpath=/var/hsphere/mail/spamd --socketowner=vpopmail --socketgroup=vchkpw --socketmode=770 --syslog-socket=none

manually calling spamassassin doesn't change the no bayes issue.

have you tried:

sa-learn --dump magic

Just to confirm there are as many messages as you think?

Hit send too soon..

Another thing to try is bayes debugging.

spamassassin -D bayes <message.txt

That should un-burry all the bayes messages from all the other debug, and generates more bayes debug than the default -D does.

Mitchell Hudson
Systems Administrator
Front Gate Solutions
1711 S Congress Ave