On Friday 08 February 2008, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 01:49 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> The sa-learn --spam can process a message in 5 to 10 seconds or so, so if
>> I've dropped 20 doofus mails in the spam directory and fire it off, I have
>> it done and kmail is back among the living in 2-3 minutes.
>
>This seems *way* too high. If there have been only 20 messages total in
>that folder, sa-learn should have processed these in a few *seconds* or
>less.
>
>> But, feeding it a 'ham' directory with about 7k messages in it, turned
>> sa-learn into a 100% cpu hog, [...]
>
>What did you expect? Based on your numbers above, processing that folder
>would have taken 10-20 *hours*...
>
>> incrementing the message processed number only
>> about every 3 to 5 minutes. I couldn't kill it, it kept coming back and I
>> must have fed it a kill -9 50 times.
>
>Hmm. Kmail doesn't start one process per mail by any chance?
>
>> So what is the maximum number of files in a directory that one can feed to
>> sa-learn --ham and expect it to achieve normal speed?
>
>Dunno if there are limitations -- however, your 7k messages should be
>perfectly fine. Just ran a test on a 6k messages mbox file, and there
>was no noticeable difference to a 30 messages test.
>
>> The command that kmail issues to it is:
>> sa-learn --ham  /root/Mail/(foldername)/cur
>
>You're not using root as your ordinary user account, do you !?
>
>  guenther

In fact I do, but I have myself somewhat in a sandbox as all the mail handling
stuff except kmail runs as an unprivileged user, and kmail pulls incoming
from that mailbox in /var.  I've been doing that for about 2-3 of years,
started it back at FC2.  And running as root since RH5.1.  Yeah, I'm an
un-repentant old fart.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)