Hi,

Firstly: I'm new to this list and also pretty new to SA in general. I did try
to find the answers to my questions in the FAQ, but haven't succeeded beyond
all doubt at doing so. I do hope, however, that I'm not flogging a dead horse
with my below questions (which appear at the end of the message)...:P

Secondly, I'd like to say that SA is a *great* tool, and that "Internet-life"
is much better with it, than it used to be without it! :P

The situation:
I run a FreeBSD 5.4-release AMD-64 based server, on which I have installed SA
(identified by pkg_info as: "p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.4_2") through Amavisd-new
(precise version, according to pkg_info: "amavisd-new-2.5.2,1"), which is being
invoked after mail arrives on the RX side of Sendmail. The RX daemon is split
in two, and tunnels the mail locally through amavisd-new (using clamd and SA),
and all mail that passes the tests gets delivered, and the rest goes directly
to the quarantine.

The problem:
The above set-up was working fine (using SA 3.2.3) for several months, and
virtually no spam got through. However, all of a sudden since some two weeks
I'm getting about 100 spam mails per day again, and these seem to include spam
mails that I have previously seen being filtered out... Still, by far most of
the spam does get filtered out, but for some reason (perhaps spammers finding
ways around SA?) more and more spam is getting through again.

My approach so far:
Figuring SA or the rules to be outdated (despite the twice-weekly call to
sa-update from cron), I first updated SA to 3.2.4. (and performed an sa-update
too), but to no real avail: the same amount of spam seemed to be getting
through. I then checked into additional channels, and soon came across the SARE
(based) ones. I decided to add the saupdates.openprotect.com channel, but still
the same amount of spam seems to get through.

The way I perform my updates are as follows:

Cron call:
23 3 * * 2,5 /usr/local/bin/sa-update --allowplugins --gpgkeyfile
/root/sa_pgp_keys --channelfile /root/sa_channels &&
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd.sh restart > /dev/null

(yes, I realise spamd is not actually used by amavisd-new, but I decided to
have it running anyway)

My /root/sa_channels file contains the following:
saupdates.openprotect.com
updates.spamassassin.org

Now, my questions are:
1-Am I doing anything wrong, or am I grossly overlooking something?
2-I've never tried to teach SA about which messages are spam and which are ham.
From what I gather from the website, I need to set-up a mailbox with solely
spam and feed that to sa-learn, and then do the same for a mailbox containing
solely ham. However, how can I best go about this? Once spam is misidentified,
it gets mixed in the live mailboxes with ham, so I wouldn't want to classify
all of it as either ham or spam... Then, I did keep the spam messages from the
last few days. Can I perhaps (manually) forward those to a local mailbox, and
then run sa-learn on that mailbox, getting it successfully identified as spam,
or will that not work due to the new mail headers added by the forward action
from my mail client?
3-Are there perhaps other good (preferrably automatic ways) to tell SA about
what is spam, and what isn't?
4-Are there perhaps other very efficient rules channels that you can recommend
me to add (like using the full set of SARE rules, rather than the openprotect
subset of it)?
5-Just a theory, but is it perhaps possible that SA somehow misidentified a
spam message as being ham, and that all messages that are similar to that
particular spam message are now being misidentified as ham, hence all getting
through?

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated, and I would like to thank you
all for taking the time to read this e-mail and address the questions raised in
it.

With kind regards,
Olaf Greve