On a debian linux system how can all incoming emails be retained
and copies of all emails are forwarded to gmail ?... particulars
include
It appears that you are using sendmail so you can use .forward. Here are several URL regarding this:
http://www.feep.net/sendmail/tutorial/intro/forward.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/sendmail-copy-and-forward-152151/
I use qmail with vpopmail and qmail just uses a file in the user's mail directory which will copy to the mail directory and forward mail to another domain at the same time.
a.
How can the mail transfer agent be identified?... maybe exim?
If you have default installation of Debian it will be most likely to have sendmail installed. Exim is a possible install.
You can try to use ps auwx to see which processes is being used.
b.
How would a nonprogrammer, dyslexic maybe, ADD maybe,
set it up on a debian linux system?...
You can use Postfix http://www.postfix.org/ or qmail http://www.qmail.org/top.html (which I use). If you want to use qmail there is great website that can assist with qmail installation http://www.qmailrocks.com/.
c.
Ordinarily RMAIL in EMACS is used and from time to time mutt.
Since you mention rmail then you most likely have sendmail. mutt is nice mail interface that just talks to the MTA.
d.
Failed attempts at setting up a file for automatically redirected
email spam messages identified by spamassassin. A file that can be
looked over from time to time for any false positives.
That will depend on the MTA but most of the time the logs will be file will be located in /var/log.
e.
In emacs, difficulty filtering the spamassassin headers not being a
programmer.
spam filtering occurs first in the MTA and then your mail user interface (ie rmail, mutt, Thunderbird, etc.)

"Someday we'll have real computers and not have to know this stuff !"
--onr