Michael Hutchinson wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Pepe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 20 March 2008 5:18 a.m.
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Cyrillic spam

For some strange reason, I'm seeing Cyrillic spams very frequently
lately.
None of my users read any Eastern European languages- is there a quick
way to catch these?

thanks

-Mike

You could use the ok_languages and ok_locales settings. I'm sure
discussions on those can be found in the archives.

I employed these rules for my site:

I'll have to check those myself.

Since I do have users that get Cyrillic content, I have to include Cyrillic in my ok_locales.

I did a simple header rule that does a raw search for koi-8 . From there, I did a couple of meta rules that give big scores to the combination of Cyrillic plus at least one of: The Bat! as the sending client, or SPAMMY-XMAILER or OUTLOOK_3416 and gave suitably high scores. My Cyrillic spam has pretty much vanished.

Before I implemented these, I checked with my users who do Cyrillic, and have no complaints from them since implementing. Even though there is a Russian spell-checking module for The Bat!, as far as I can tell none of my users exchange mail with Russian-speaking users of The Bat!

It's been discussed in this list before that going after content with The Bat! is dangerous, because it's a legitimate client, but among my users, the frequency of inbound mail with The Bat! is virtually zero. Thus, although I score 2.1 points for The Bat!, I tend to use that rule frequently in metas that combine with other more frequently hit rules.

To me, this is some of the real elegance of SpamAssassin, in that you can score some number of common patterns with low scores, and beyond the cumulative score of what turns up, using meta rules to look for combinations of this, this and that (and when that particular combination gets a hit, assign suitable high scores) is really useful.

Smith