Clayton Keller wrote:
I have been reading throught the Shortcircuit manpage as well as some articles within the Wiki, and the manner in which I see it performing within our install does not seem to coincide with how I am reading and presumably understanding it to work.

First off, we are using SpamAssassin 3.2.4 provided by the rpmforge batch of rpm's.

I have about a dozen priorities specified mainly handling URIBL, SURBL, as well as DCC, Razor, Pyzor and Bayes.

What I am seeing is that although the first shortcircuit rule hits and scores appropriately. Subsequent short circuit rules will continue to fire. The scores themselves are then totaled along with the original scores for the rules.

My understanding of how the shortcircuit should work is that once a shortcircuit is triggered any subsequent rules should be bypassed and the message wither classified as spam/ham or if set to on, it would use the current score specified for the rule.

As a for instance:

I have the following:

priority URIBL_BLACK            -500
priority URIBL_JP_SURBL         -498
priority URIBL_SC_SURBL         -488
priority URIBL_OB_SURBL         -487

priority SC_URIBL_SURBL         -480
priority SC_URIBL_SBL           -479

priority RAZOR2_CHECK           -450
priority DCC_CHECK              -449
priority PYZOR_CHECK            -448

priority SC_URIBL_HASH          -440

meta SC_URIBL_SURBL    (URIBL_BLACK && (URIBL_SC_SURBL
                           || URIBL_JP_SURBL || URIBL_OB_SURBL))

meta SC_URIBL_SBL    ((URIBL_BLACK || URIBL_SC_SURBL ||
URIBL_JP_SURBL || URIBL_OB_SURBL) && URIBL_SBL)

meta SC_URIBL_HASH    ((URIBL_BLACK || URIBL_SC_SURBL ||
URIBL_JP_SURBL || URIBL_OB_SURBL) && (RAZOR2_CHECK || DCC_CHECK || PYZOR_CHECK))

meta SC_URIBL_SBL       ((URIBL_BLACK || URIBL_SC_SURBL ||
URIBL_JP_SURBL || URIBL_OB_SURBL) && URIBL_SBL)

shortcircuit SC_URIBL_SURBL             spam
shortcircuit SC_URIBL_SBL               spam
shortcircuit SC_URIBL_HASH             spam

score SC_URIBL_SURBL            100.00
score SC_URIBL_HASH             100.00
score SC_URIBL_SBL              100.00

I do not have a recent debug to show but I can say that from the debug I do see the SC_URIBL_SURBL trigger, after the earlier priority rules are ran. However, the remaining priorities are then ran, and if meeting critera, the RAZOR, DCC, and PYZOR rules run and then the SC_URIBL_HASH rule would trigger. Thus giving a total score of 200 + the scores for the URIBL/SURBL scores that hit and if included the Razor, DCC, and Pyzor scores as well.

I was thinking after the SC_URIBL_SURBL was triggered remaining rules would not run, and the spam classification would take precendence.

Am I overlooking the obvious, have I misunderstood how the SC should work, is it something with the rpm that was released by rpmforge? Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

SA is, rather fortunately, circumventing what you're trying to do because of how DNS is handled internally.

DO NOT try to split up the priority of DNS based tests. Priority and shortcircuiting is intended to be used on *fast* rules, not slow ones.

If you were successful, you would make the performance of SpamAssassin absurdly slow by serializing DNS queries. *OUCH*. SA normally runs these in parallel, and running them in serial would very seriously impact performance.

Currently, all DNS based tests "run" at their priority, but that only launches the DNS queries. All the results are gathered together at HARVEST_DNSBL_PRIORITY, which is currently set to 500. None of the rules will actually trigger until this point.