Hey all --

I'm on the technical advisory board for MailChannels, a company who make a
commercial traffic-shaping antispam product, Traffic Control.  Basically,
you put it in front of your real MTA, and it applies "the easy stuff" --
greet-pause, early-talker disconnection, lookup against front-line DNSBLs,
etc. -- in a massively scalable fashion, handling thousands of SMTP
connections on a single box.   By taking care of 80% of the bad stuff
upfront, it takes a massive load off of your backend -- and, key point,
off your SpamAssassin setup. ;)

Until recently, the product was for-pay and (relatively) hard to get your
hands on, but as of today, they're making it available as a download at
http://mailchannels.com/download/ .  Apparently: "it's free for low-volume
use, but high volume users will need a license key."

Anyway, take a look, if you're interested.  I think it's pretty cool.
(and I'm not just saying that because I'm on their tech advisory board. ;)

--j.