On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 09:13:16PM +0200, Hachmann wrote:
> SM schrieb:
> >Hi Alexander,
> >At 06:35 25-08-2008, Alexander Hachmann wrote:
> >>I am currently having the problem with a lot of mails returning from
> >>daemons in response
> >>to mails I did now write.
> >>Does anyone have a .cf solution for this issue. I am getting more
> >>than a hundred per week of these f.....ng Mails.
> >
> >Have you tried http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/VBounceRuleset
> >
> >Regards,
> >-sm
>
> Thank you for your reply. This seems to be exactly what I want.
> Unfortuneatly I am running 3.0.4 and this only works from 3.1 on.
> I am not that familiar with upgrading SA. Is there an easy and safe
> way?

If the original was installed from CPAN, that's the best way to
upgrade.  Just (as root)

  # cpan
  cpan> install Mail::SpamAssassin

or you can download (as you did below - BTW the latest is v3.2.5),
blow up the tarball, and then

  $ perl Makefile.PL
  $ make
  $ make test
  $ su -
  # make install

Then restart spamd.  For RedHat-ish distros and some others:

  # service spamassassin restart

All that said, if it was installed from the distro, best to update
from the distro.  You _can_ overwrite it with the method above, but be
aware that if a distro upgrade is applied, it will overwrite your
tarball upgrade.  Still, you can do the tarball upgrade again (just
"make install" if the build directory is still lying about).

> I yet downloaded 3.2.4 and run perl Makefiel.PL without installing. This
> for example starts telling me, that modules like SPF are not
> present. Any hints on that?

The SPF modules are not required, but helpful.  You can install them
from CPAN, and then rerun your "perl Makefile.PL" for SA.

> Regards,
>            Alexander

Cheers,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             http://www.bobcatos.com
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my
teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth,
and the truth will set you free."  John 8:31-32 (NIV)