On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Jules Yasuna wrote:

[snip..]
> SA has been working great! Very few spam messages get through. Then, we
> made ONE change
> to the machine. We turned off BIND, and just resolve to the ISP name
> servers. After  that, lots
> and lots of spam gets through ? Not everything, just a lot more than
> when BIND was running locally

[snip..]
> So, really that is all we did. After that, lot's of spam gets through.
>
> Just to check, we turned our nameserver back on (and adjusted
> /etc/resolv.conf accordingly), and once
> again SAworks great !
>
> So, please tell me what I am doing wrong here
>
> Thanks in advance ... jules

To paraphrase an old joke:
 Patient:  "Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I poke a stick into my eye.
            What should I do to stop the pain?"
 Doctor:   "Don't poke a stick into your eye".

It's considered generally good advice for spamassassin sites to run a
local DNS server to reduce network traffic and timeouts. Is there a
compelling reason not to follow this advice?

Probably your ISP's DNS servers are busy and prone to delays, causing
timeouts and loss of DNS based rules (RBLS, etc).

Either run a local DNS server, find a better off-site server that doesn't
suffer from delays (ask for permission to use them tho), or increase your
network test timeout settings and expect delays in processing mail.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>