Hi Francesco,
At 00:34 19-09-2008, Vincenti Francesco wrote:
My system has the following characteristics:
- A two nodes cluster based, active-active, one for the incoming email and the other for the outgoing email. If a node crashes, the other brings the service on its shoulders.
-          Each node has 4GB RAM and two processors
-          O.S.                             Fedora core 3
-          Mail server                    qmail 1.0.3
-          Antivirus                       clamav 0.87.1
-          Antispam                      spamassassin 3.0.4
-          Cluster controller           heartbeat
-          Interface                       qmail-scanner-queue.pl

That version of SpamAssassin is quite old.

Starting from the 15th of July, I find, sometimes, in the log file of qmail-scanner-queue.pl the following alert instead of normal score: SA: finished scan in 600.010015 secs - hits=?/?. I have already searched on the official site of spamassassin and it seems to be generated by some kind of trouble using the web scansion. I really used pyzor and razor2 scansion, so I took them out from local.cf. This action caused the decrease of average processing time from 15 seconds to 3.5 seconds for each treated email. But I still have some kind of web search because the system is configured to use RBL search too, and I can't take it out. The time has been improved but the problem stays! I have to write and to upgrade a local configuration file, named local_rules.cf which has reached the dimension of 250KB it is very useful to stop a lot of SPAM which is not stopped by the other rules. The problem started to appear after one of the upgrade I usually have to do, which wasn't so dramatic to justify this behaviour, I think.

I gather that you have read http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FasterPerformance The large local rules file will affect performance. If you want to keep pyzor and razor2, see http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsingNetworkTests on how to reduce the timeout values. Run spamd with the -D switch to find out whether there are any errors.

Regards,
-sm