identify their netblock and never hear from them again.

> Is this hypothetical or does this happen to you in real life?

Real life.  Some 'rbl testing' companies make money by monitoring rb's.
Some rbl testing software includes blocked.secnap.net
Seems to come in spurts.  Won't hear from anyone for months and months, then
for about two months will start getting emails and calls 'you are blocking
my email'.  And, yes, we get pretend lawyers call.  I assume pretend because
I can't imagine any lawyer actually taking the time to call about something
so stupid:

host -t a  131.70.175.193.blocked.secnap.net
131.70.175.193.blocked.secnap.net has address 127.0.0.2

 host -t txt 131.70.175.193.blocked.secnap.net
131.70.175.193.blocked.secnap.net descriptive text "Private list. secnap.com
use only Not licensed for public use. Anyone using this DNS zone as a
blacklist did not do their homework"

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
>|SECNAP Network Security
Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com