Jesse Stroik wrote:
In my experience, I've come across exchange servers in private networks behind mail gateways that were the originating server. In this case, whether or not you and I think it is a poor configuration, it is a legitimate SMTP configuration via the RFC and it will have no reverse-DNS entry for the originating server.
Quite possible, but the original argument, as I'll point out again, is for rejecting mail with **NO** rDNS *at all*. This *is* a different case than malformed or mismatched rDNS information.

Eg, "host <sending IP according to you mail server>" returns NXDOMAIN.

Try it with 209.91.179.65 - if the device on that IP were a NAT/firewall (it isn't) with a device generating legitimate SMTP traffic behind it somewhere, that IP should have rDNS (it doesn't right now - should probably fix that anyway).

To be excessively pedantic even network and broadcast IPs should have rDNS - IMO there's little excuse not to have *some* kind of rDNS on every single IP delegated from ARIN, RIPE &c. ("We just got assigned a new /20 and we haven't set them up yet" is one such valid excuse. <g>)

If it's contacting your mail server, it's either a local private network, your ISP's network is sufficiently mismanaged as to allow private-IP network traffic to reach public IP space, or there is a publicly-routeable IP associated with that connection. I can't think of any cases in which that public IP should NOT have *something* in rDNS - whether it's valid, well-formed, properly closed-loop, or related in any way to the SMTP traffic is another question.

(As an ISP mail administrator I see a lot of "ooh, that looks neat.. but..." ideas go across this list; most of them have enough potential to cause customer phone calls that I don't look very far into the details of implementing them. *sigh* My own personal machine receives so little traffic I don't mind the cost of running SA - and in fact I run it largely the way I do the systems at work to keep things simple.)

-kgd