On 23.11.08 15:46, bernier wrote:
> i have a debian server with spammassassin 3.000003. i guess this has never
> been updated

upgrade the server, 3.0.3 was default afaik in sarge, which is obsolete and
unsupported. Is not possible, there was newer version in volatile and even
newer in volatile-sloppy, seems it's still there.

> do i just use the cmd
>
> sa-update && service spamassassin restart

sa-update is supported since SA 3.1. I don't have "service" on my debian
system and use "/etc/init.d/spamassassin reload" instead.

> how often should i update after it is updated?

whenever an update comes out. Some people try it daily.

> can it be scheduled to be automatic?

yes.

> will i loose any configuration on the system?

no.

> are the updates primarly for improving what and how SA detects spam?

yes.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".