The reason why I use the bayes path is because on my server (virtual private
freebsd), the SA install writes the config files to
/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin instead of /etc/mail/spamassassin.  So if I
don't specify bayes_path, then it will stick the bayes stuff under
/etc/mail/spamassassin.

Although using bayes_file_mode 0777 is insecure, I am okay with it giving
the fact that I am the only one with shell access to the box.

However, I would like to identify the right way to do it so I don't have to
throw a work around into play.

Thanks for all your input!