Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Duane Hill <d.h...@yournetplus.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Steve Freegard wrote:
>>

>>> 5)  Privacy concerns;  potentially a domains entire mail stream for the
>>> last 5 days could be held on your mail spool.  This has obvious privacy
>>> implications for most people particularly as there is no contract
>>> between you and the end-user.  How does the end-user know that you've
>>> delivered it all?  Or that you haven't copied or read it?
>>>
>> I would agree. I know for a fact our CEO would want a contract and an NDA
>> notarized and signed. Not to mention, I have stricken down any decision made
>> that would pass our email stream to/through any third party service(s).
>>

> you decided not to use the internet, then?

Shh, don't tell him that other companies own the intertubes :)

That said, there is at least some difference between a carrier and a
server. Carriers, at least theoretically, don't store data, they merely
transfer it. Of course, routers buffer packets, but this is a ram only
process and rather short lived (small fractions of a second) Servers on
the other hand, intentionally store data on disk for noticeable periods
of time (seconds to days) and delete it some time later after
retransmission. This is at least a slightly more difficult data format
to create copies of, since the data is "still" for a longer period of
time and it's on a computer system which is inherently designed to be
able to make additional copies.

Of course, if you believe that it's impossible for a disgruntled ISP
employee to tap off copies of email going to your site, well, I hate to
break it to you, but Santa isn't real.. :)