Why are software ideas patentable, anyway?

It is only to steal $$$ and to stop newcomers, which is the exact opposite
of the original meaning of patenting...

Have a read to http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/ . It is an EU-based
organization, but motivations are the same regardless of nationality.

Here in EU we have a lot of (zealous?) public officers attempting to
introduce software patens in any possible way.

Giampaolo