Justin Mason <jm <at> jmason.org> writes:

> >> That is the coolest idea I've heard today!  And it's so obvious, yet easily
> >> missed, I suppose.
> >>
> >> Do you have the whole thing scripted and automated?
> >
> > Yes and no.  It is scripted but not packaged.  Would probably take a few
> > hours to complete.  Wish I had the time to do it for free.
> >
> > OTOH, if you have scripting skills it's pretty straightforward.  The only
> > time consuming part is parsing the data down to just the essential elements
> > and formatting it for easy reading.  A few dozen iterations and voila.
>
> this is a pretty compelling idea!

You might get a leg up using NetBSD's /etc/security, one of the available daily
audits -- there's a short routine in there for backing up and diffing.  It pulls
in /etc/rc.subr for some of the routines.

In addition, it might be nice to have SA config output dividable between rules
and other config.

RSK