On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 08:10 -0500, Bowie Bailey wrote:

> Your assessment sounds right to me.  I would make two suggestions.
>
> 1) Memory is cheap these days.  Add some more RAM.

That's a mitigation strategy, yes, but it doesn't really answer OP's
question about how to make spamd stop trying to allocate new incoming
spams to try to process them all at the time they come in and instead
put them into a queue, in a effort to try to "even" the load out.

> 2) Reduce the maximum children setting so that the system doesn't start
> swapping.  This will cause SA to scan faster and should result in fewer
> messages slipping through while SA is busy.

But it also means if the incoming load temporarily overruns the
available children currently available, then the excess doesn't get
spamd treatment.  Or does it?

If I have 5 spamd children available and (just to torture it) I fire off
50 spamc processes, what happens?

b.