Hello Matt, thanks for the response.

Yes, I understand and had thought that as well. Considering my SA is
version 3.1.7, no updates are coming out for it at the moment anyway.
So, I would only run SA-update to get 3rd party rules (ie SARE) but I
understand there are no updates for those rulesets either, so probably
won't run sa-update until we have upgraded the server.
I know I can override the scores in /etc/mail/spamassassin.. But how
would I disable any one specific DNSBL test from there? (didn't see a
way to do it before, hence the edits of the cf file directly). (And I
know I can't run sa-update now).

> >  I basically just removed 2 DNSBL
> > lookups that are redundant.
> Which ones?

Heh.. the list is a bit longer than I might have previously suggested:

This one got nuked:
header RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL        eval:check_rbl('njabl-lastexternal',
'combined.njabl.org.', '127.0.0.3')
describe RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL      NJABL: dialup sender did non-local SMTP
tflags RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL        net
#reuse RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL

SBL_XBL got changed to ZEN. No biggie there.

PBL added:

# PBL is the Policy Block List: http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/
header RCVD_IN_PBL              eval:check_rbl('zen-lastexternal',
'zen.spamhaus.org.', '127.0.0.1[01]')
describe RCVD_IN_PBL            Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
tflags RCVD_IN_PBL              net
#reuse RCVD_IN_PBL T_RCVD_IN_PBL_WITH_NJABL_DUL RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL

These nuked:

header DNS_FROM_RFC_POST        eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
'127.0.0.3')
describe DNS_FROM_RFC_POST      Envelope sender in
postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org
tflags DNS_FROM_RFC_POST        net
#reuse DNS_FROM_RFC_POST

header DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE       eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
'127.0.0.4')
describe DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE     Envelope sender in
abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
tflags DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE       net
#reuse DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE

header DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS       eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
'127.0.0.5')
describe DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS     Envelope sender in
whois.rfc-ignorant.org
tflags DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS       net
#reuse DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS

And these got nuked too:

# CompleteWhois blacklists
header __RCVD_IN_WHOIS          eval:check_rbl('whois',
'combined-HIB.dnsiplists.completewhois.com.')
tflags __RCVD_IN_WHOIS          net

header RCVD_IN_WHOIS_BOGONS     eval:check_rbl_sub('whois', '127.0.0.2')
describe RCVD_IN_WHOIS_BOGONS   CompleteWhois: sender on bogons IP block
tflags RCVD_IN_WHOIS_BOGONS     net

header RCVD_IN_WHOIS_HIJACKED   eval:check_rbl_sub('whois', '127.0.0.3')
describe RCVD_IN_WHOIS_HIJACKED CompleteWhois: sender on hijacked IP
block
tflags RCVD_IN_WHOIS_HIJACKED   net

header RCVD_IN_WHOIS_INVALID    eval:check_rbl('whois-lastexternal',
'combined-HIB.dnsiplists.completewhois.com.', '127.0.0.4')
describe RCVD_IN_WHOIS_INVALID  CompleteWhois: sender on invalid IP
block
tflags RCVD_IN_WHOIS_INVALID    net
#reuse RCVD_IN_WHOIS_INVALID    RCVD_IN_RFC_IPWHOIS

# another domain-based blacklist
header DNS_FROM_SECURITYSAGE    eval:check_rbl_envfrom('securitysage',
'blackhole.securitysage.com.')
describe DNS_FROM_SECURITYSAGE  Envelope sender in
blackholes.securitysage.com
tflags DNS_FROM_SECURITYSAGE    net
#reuse DNS_FROM_SECURITYSAGE

I have refrained from adding any new ones, apart from the PBL.

> > This is done in attempt to solve an issue
> > random scan times of 30 seconds plus.
> >
> > There does not appear to be any common rule firing against the E-
> Mails
> > that take 30+ seconds to scan.
> > I have not managed to replicate the long scan time by testing
> > Spamassassin locally with network tests enabled.
> >
> > Any pointers would be greatly appreciated ;)
> >
> Upgrade to 3.2.x.
>
> Seriously, 3.1.7 is vastly to old to be very effective, it was
released
> over 2 years ago.

Agreed, but I need to fix this server. We have an upgrade plan that will
see us build a new Mail Server to replace this one after the end of the
month. I have pushed to get this to happen sooner, but it will not.
Unfortunately I cannot just upgrade SA. We are bound to a max version of
3.1.7 due to our Operating System version. There is no upgrade path
left, it will get a complete rebuild.

> It also has security holes in it (CVE-2007-0451
> <http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-0451> and
> CVE-2007-2873
> <http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-2873>).

Hmm.. may have to see about working around those, this server has to
operate for at least another 20 days.

Thanks and Cheers,
Michael Hutchinson