On Fri, 22 May 2009, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

On 22.05.09 06:29, John Hardin wrote:
They will especially get a clue if many sites reject their traffic with a
message like "your HELO should be your actual public FQDN, you moron."
(worded more politely, of course)

yes, it should be, but you also MUST NOT reject if it is not.
There are always cases when sender does not use it...

I have milter-regex reject connections from the Internet at large if there's no period at all in the HELO. This covers FQDNs and [x.x.x.x] IP address literals per RFC2821 3.6, 4.1.1.1 and 4.1.3. Granted my pithy comment above does not cover all valid cases.

Can you give me a reasonable example of when this rejection rule would be inappropriate?

  End users want eye candy and the "ooo's and aaaahhh's" experience
  when reading mail. To them email isn't a tool, but an entertainment
  form.                                                 -- Steve Lake
 32 days since 9th Circuit incorporated 2nd Amdt - MSM still silent