Excerpts from Charles Gregory's message of Thu Jun 11 07:13:02 -0700 2009:

> How many accounts are we talking about here?
> If it is just one or two addresses, and the user(s) being 'spoofed' have
> distinctive *names* on their genuine 'From' headers, then you can
> test for quoted messages in the body that contain a From line withthe
> correct address but a *wrong* 'name' in front of it.
>
> To use your address as an example:
>
> body LOC_NOTARVIS /^[ ]*From: "?([^A]|A[^r]|Ar[^v])[^<>@]+<a...@exys\.org>/
>
> So any junk 'returned' to you as faked sender, containing, for example:
>
>     Returned
>     From: Bob smith <a...@exys.org>
>
> ....would trip over this rule.
> Also note that if somehow your name is *stripped*, and only the address
> appears, this rule will *not* trigger. It only works on *wrong* names
> in front of your address. The use of [^<>@] keeps the rule from triggering
> if someone has specified multiple addresses. You might not want this on a
> body 'From' test, but I also use this as a header 'To' rule for some of
> my clients to stop dictionary spam attacks.... :)
>
> - Charles

Thanks! This looks very useful.

We temporarily have blocked some networks which exhaust our relays.
This is indeed caused by only a few domains all from the same customer
group (trading stuff), and I think some spammers
are using those addresses as From:  mainly because 1)  it looks
trustworthy 2) we allow sender callins.
Interestingly the backscatter is _only_ caused by domains within Russia
with almost identical format (well, all qmail ), so I'm looking into
triggering that.

That forged Name/Address relationship is a pretty good find. I'll
look into applying that rule system wide.