Thanks for the below, Martin.
Maybe so far I missed it on the web, but that's the clearest description I've come across and actually makes sense to me.
:)

Lee

Martin Gregorie wrote:
The main benefit for low volume (personal) mail is that using
spamc/spamd avoids the considerable start/stop times of vanilla SA.
spamd is a server that starts at boot time and runs until shutdown while
raw SA is started and stopped for every message. spamc replaces SA in
the message processing chain. All it does is to pass messages to spamd
for inspection and tagging. Its a small C program, so it starts and
stops very fast.

Martin