Per Jessen wrote:

> Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 3:23 AM, Per Jessen<p...@computer.org> wrote:
>>> Back to the subject line - how do I make Net::DNS::Resolver
>>> take /etc/hosts into account?
>> b) my guess is that you can't, but it's a question for the Net::DNS
>> folks, not SA.
>
> Theo, I do appreciate that, but something SA or Net::DNS does changes
> the behaviour of subsequent calls to gethostbyname(), so the question
> is who is the culprit?  Can you say for certain that SA isn't the
> guilty part?  (just so I can start digging into Net::DNS instead).

On many operating systems (Solaris, Fedora 11, and Gentoo Linux are the
ones I have) the file /etc/nsswitch.conf controls exactly what you are
asking, the usual relevant line is:

hosts:       files dns

Which means first look at /etc/hosts, then ask bind (named).

In Fedora 11 the same line is more complex, returning an error before
using named, but that is not your problem:

hosts:       files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
--
René Berber