Hi,

On Wed, 19.08.2009 at 18:26:40 -0400, Dave <dave.meh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>       Postfix on my server, the backup mx is using qmail.

do you control the backup MX, or is it something external?
Unfortunately, plain qmail can't do that much to block spam w/o some
help. If you control the machine in question, try to switch to
qmail-ldap, or look into qpsmtpd (we're about to do the latter in
addition to the former).

My wild guess is that if you get spam from your backup MX and don't
have it tagged as spam, then you're probably relying on RBLs too much,
and that your backup MX isn't listed in such an RBL, which is generally
what you want.

FWIW, we also receive mail on several hosts with different priority,
but have mostly identical SpamAssassin configurations running on each,
so no matter where someone tries to deliver his junk to, he'll need to
bypass SpamAssassin first.

Kind regards,
--Toni++