RW wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:05:06 -0400
Dan Schaefer <d...@performanceadmin.com> wrote:

I occasionally make changes to the local.cf for custom scores and
rules and I would obviously need to restart SA. A few times in the
past, spam messages have sneaked through just as SA was stopped.  If
I were to prevent this from happening in the future, would I first
stop my MTA, restart SA, and start my MTA again? Will this cause
anyone other problems with undelivered mail, especially outgoing?
Note, I usually restart during the day after adding rules/scores.

Something like this?
/etc/init.d/postfix stop && /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart && /etc/init.d/postfix start

Could you not simply set a combination of  --connect-retries and
--retry-sleep that's high enough to cover the downtime?

I could try that. These arguments are for spamc, so I would need to put them in /etc/postfix/master.cf?

[r...@host ~]# cat /etc/postfix/master.cf
--cut--
spamassassin unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
   user=xxxx
   argv=/usr/bin/spamc
   -e /usr/sbin/sendmail
   -oi -f ${sender} ${recipient}