Alex (aka "MySQL Student") wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out if this is spam:
> http://pastebin.com/m64a38b1
>
> I've had to obscure it to get around pastebin's spam filter by
> changing the '@' to '%#' in this message. The exxample.com is also
> my change.
>
> Is the habeas stuff right? How about mkt058.com? Is that a valid
> server for shutterfly or is it indeed blacklisted, as JMF_BL
> suggests?
>
> Bayes is also marking it has ham, so I'm especially concerned.

The DKIM passes from shutterfly.messages2.com rather than
shutterfly.com .. Messages2.com appears to be an email marketing
service that is legitimately used by Shutterfly.com as noted at
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/shutterfly.com/summary/ (see "what
our inbox looked like after we signed up here" which contains two
messages from @service.shutterfly.com and one message from
@shutterfly.messages2.com).

mail2196c.mkt058.com is listed as permitted by the authoritative SPF
record for shutterfly.messages2.com, so they are affiliated.

Messages2 and/or mkt058.com have been thorough in working to ensure
their mail gets delivered cleanly, using SPF, DKIM, and Habeas (which
are all sender verification tools, the last of which is a sort of "we
promise this isn't spam" tool).  The message also has a
List-Unsubscribe header while lacking a Precedence header (hmm...).

However, all that does is assure you that the message came from
Shutterfly and/or its affiliates (and/or THEIR affiliates).  As to
whether it was solicited ... I can't answer that.  Obviously somebody
reported it to JMF HostKarma as a spamming relay (which differs from
the Hostkarma ruling on similar company Constant Contact ... though I
don't know specific differences between the two).

I'd lean on saying it's safe to unsubscribe and that if you want to
complain, I'd aim that primarily at Shutterfly's abuse team.