This may not be an exact Spamassassin type question, but something happened to
me recently concerning spam and I am hoping to get some feedback and thoughts
about it.

I have 3 websites on a VPS and with that several related email addresses.
help@, support@, etc; I also have a customer that I host on my VPS, we do
business together and I am the webmaster of his site. He has two email
addresses, his@ and ad...@.

Neither I, nor my customer has ever had a facebook or twitter account. He was
recently attending a business convention and he said several of his customers
suggested he get a facebook and twitter account for business reasons. So he
asked me and I created him both a facebook and twitter account and in the
process I also created myself one of each. I used his business email address
his@ and I used my personal ISP email address on embarqmail.com.

Within a day after creating those accounts, both of us start receiving between
3 and 5 virused spam emails a day related to facebook. Virus attachment emails,
"Your password to facebook has been updated for security reasons, open the
attachment to see your new password", "your facebook profile has been updated,
open the attachment...", etc. "Open the zip file and double click on ?????.exe
to....". We have been receiving them for days now, since last Sunday.

We never have in the past ever received any facebook type spam emails.
Especially like this. Either one of us. I also monitor his business email
address, for customer complaints, suggestions, orders and we never before have
received anything related to facebook.

A surprising thing is, I am also receiving between 3 and 5 daily emails via my
other 3 websites email addresses. These addresses are not even related to the
new facebook accounts other than they are part of the VPS hosting the websites.
I don't know if that's a considerable relationship?

It could very well be coincidence I suppose, that we created those facebook
accounts and almost immediately started receiving virus spam, but I really do
not think so, based on our history. It seems too coincidental and it is
affecting about 10 non-related email addresses also. I think something else is
happening, although I do not know what to consider as I am not as knowledgeable
about this as you are.

What could be going on here? Any ideas? Is it coincidence?

Thanks for any help.

Wes