On 11/15/2009 11:00 AM, Marc Perkel wrote:

Warren Togami wrote:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/200910.mbox/%3c4ad11c44.9030...@redhat.com%3e

Compare this report to a similar report last month.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/NightlyMassCheck
The results below are only as good as the data submitted by nightly
masscheck volunteers. Please join us in nightly masschecks to increase
the sample size of the corpora so we can have greater confidence in
the nightly statistics.

http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/20091114-r836144-n
Spam 131399 messages from 18 users
Ham 189948 messages from 18 users

============================
DNSBL lastexternal by Safety
============================
SPAM% HAM% RANK RULE
12.8342% 0.0021% 0.94 RCVD_IN_PSBL *
12.3053% 0.0026% 0.94 RCVD_IN_XBL
31.2499% 0.0827% 0.87 RCVD_IN_ANBREP_BL *2
80.2578% 0.1485% 0.86 RCVD_IN_PBL
27.1836% 0.1985% 0.79 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL
19.8213% 0.1785% 0.79 RCVD_IN_SEMBLACK *
90.9360% 0.3854% 0.77 RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT
13.0564% 0.4838% 0.67 RCVD_IN_HOSTKARMA_BL *

Commentary:
* PSBL and XBL lead in apparent safety.
* ANBREP was added after the October report and has made a
surprisingly strong showing in this past month. ANBREP is currently
unavailable to the general public. The list owner is thinking about
going public with the list, which I would encourage because they are
clearly doing something right. It seems he would need a global network
of automated mirrors to be able to scale. He would also need
listing/delisting policy clearly stated on a web page somewhere.
* SEMBLACK consistently has been performing adequately in safety while
catching a respectable amount of spam. I personally use this
non-default blacklist.
* It is clear that the two main blacklists are Spamhaus and BRBL. The
Zen combinatoin of Spamhaus zones is extremely effective and generally
safe. BRBL has a high hit rate as well, with a moderate safety rating.
* HOSTKARMA_BL ranks dead last in safety for the past several weeks in
a row, while not being more effective against spam than PSBL, XBL or
SEMBLACK.

===============================
HOSTKARMA_BL much better as URIBL
===============================
SPAM% HAM% RANK RULE
68.3651% 0.2806% 0.79 URIBL_HOSTKARMA_BL *

Commentary:
While HOSTKARMA_BL is pretty unsafe as a plain DNSBL, it is
surprisingly effective as a URIBL. This is curious as it seems it was
not designed to be used as a URIBL. In any case as long our masschecks
show good statistics like this, I will personally use this on my own
spamassassin server.

=========================
SPAMCOP Dangerous?
=========================
SPAM% HAM% RANK RULE
17.4225% 2.6076% 0.56 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET *

Commentary:
Is Spamcop seriously this bad? It consistently has shown a high false
positive rates in these past weeks. Was it safer than this in the past
to warrant the current high score in spamassassin-3.2.5?

Warren Togami
wtog...@redhat.com

All I can say is that if your results were typical then we would be out
of business. Your results are inconsistent with two other comparison lists.

http://www.intra2net.com/en/support/antispam/blacklist.php_dnsbl=RCVD_IN_JMF_BL.html

http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/20091114-r836144-n
http://www.intra2net.com/en/support/antispam/index.php
Both of these sites show roughly similar FP rates. Both sites show nearly 0% PSBL and ~0.5% HOSTKARMA.

http://www.sdsc.edu/~jeff/spam/cbc.html

This page says nothing about FP's.

I also doubt we are as good of a URIBL as your resukts indicate. I'm
thinking we got lucky on your test somehow. Although behind the scenes
we do feed a lot of data to other RBL people so maybe it's related somehow.

It seems that your list was not meant to be a URIBL, (it isn't documented as such) but Henrik suggested adding that testing rule to our weekly masschecks. The URIBL results have been pretty consistent for weeks now. Yes, perhaps this is luck.

Warren