> On Dec 4, 2009, at 12:19, Ted Mittelstaedt <t...@ipinc.net> wrote:
>
> > That wouldn't ever happen because the whole point of the CAN-SPAM
> > act is to allow the spammers to send out the "first" mail.

The CAN-SPAM spiel is an American phenomena that holds questionable
relevance to the rest of the world (somewhat more significant than one
Country).

In the UK I'm more interested in the offences sending UBE/UCE commits
under the Protection from Harassment Act, Section 42 of the
Telecommunications Act and possible offences under the Data Protection
and Computer Misuse Acts.

CAN-SPAM or no CAN-SPAM, any 'legitimate' ESP assisting in such acts are
equally guilty in UK law under the joint enterprise rules, although
other than some minor success getting a couple of fixed penalty notices
issued to UK companies sending UCE, I've yet to see a significant legal
test.