On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Michael Scheidell wrote:
: > My suggestion: Setup a link/page that provides for rapid reporting by
: > pasting an offending e-mail without a bunch of form-filling. Just use a
: > captcha to avoid poisoning.... :)
: > - C
: or an industry standard, RFC REQUIRED abuse@ address.

Well, I'm trying to be flexible here, and you have to realize that an
'abuse@' address can be badly abused at large companies. I can actually
see the logic where if it is made too *easy* to forward a complaint to
abuse@ then people adopt the attitude of forwarding *all* the mail
that they don't like, even if it is not really spam, and with no effort to
determine the actual originating system.

I am lucky enough to get very few complaints here, so I can read them all
personally. But even so, the majority of them are people complaining
about spam that merely has *spoofed* our domain name in the From header.
Forcing people to use a web form may be 'non-compliant' to RFC, but it
puts some thought into the process, and makes people think twice about
reporting the one 'invite' out of many that they "didn't want".

But the forms at returnpath are uber unfriendly. They need a quicker
simpler form. Otherwise, as they sit, it honestly looks like they are
trying to discourage reports by making them *too* difficult.

- C