On 2010-03-04 15:13, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 14:36 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
I want my users (it's a small at-home setup of fetchmail, postfix, SA and courier-imap) to be able to whitelist certain users.

You do *not* need allow_user_rules, to enable per-user whitelist_* or
blacklist_* settings.

See the docs [1], and pay special attention to the first sentence in the
User Preferences section. Also note that Whitelist and Blacklist Options
is a sub-section of this. :)

Already read this:
    full/3.3.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#user_preferences

On a related note, the plain whitelist_from without a rcvd or auth
constraint is dangerous to use. If possible, always use the constraint
ones, and the plain one strictly as a fall-back if there is no other
possibility -- and you really need the whitelist. In almost all cases,
you don't, and the real problem (if any) goes by unnoticed.

Right. I wanted to get the "simple stuff" working first; then the more complicated configurations.

This is what my various config files look like:

     $ tail -n1 /etc/spamassassin/local.cf
     allow_user_rules        1

     $ cat ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs
     header    L_TO_ME   ToCc =~ /ron\.l\.johns...@cox\.net/
     describe  L_TO_ME   Email addressed to me
     score     L_TO_ME   0.010

For this, you need allow_user_rules 1.

     whitelist_from  nytdir...@nytimes.com

For this, you don't.

OK.

However, you did *not* show any evidence, headers, or whatever, that the
L_TO_ME user rule does not work...

In Thunderbird View->"Message Source", I searched for L_TO_ME.

Am I fundamentally *wrong* about something here?

How is SA called?

(Lines manually "continued" for easy reading.)

# grep spam /etc/postfix/master.cf
smtp      inet  n   -   n   -   -   \
                  smtpd -o content_filter=spamfilter:
spamfilter unix - n n - - pipe flags=Rq user=spamfilter \
                  argv=/usr/local/bin/spamfilter.sh \
                  -f ${sender} -- ${recipient}

                   Are you using per-user configuration?

I think so. But that "user=spamfilter" makes me now think otherwise. I set this up years ago, and only now care about whitelisting.

[1] http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka