Bret Miller-4 wrote:

> I worked on it for a while on Windows Server 2008R2, and concluded that
> I was not going to get it running in 64-bit ActivePerl. There were just
> too many dependencies that would not compile or were missing features in
> x64 mode. So I cleared it all off, reinstalled ActivePerl 32-bit and
> proceeded to install spamassassin without incident on my 64-bit server
> running in 32-bit mode. I am having occasional issues with spamassassin
> just dying. Not sure what that's about since restarting it always allows
> it to scan whatever message caused it to crash in the first place. Other
> things have been priority, so haven't gotten back to trying to track
> down the cause of the crash.
>
> Bret

I'm pretty sure he didn't use ActivePerl x64: He mentioned the x86 path
(assuming defaults).

weirdbeardmt wrote:

>> So I'm at a loss! The only thing I'm doing that might be slightly
>> peculiar,
>> but not sure why, is installing NetAddr::IP using
>>
>> perl -MCPAN -e "install('NetAddr::IP')"
>>
>> as opposed to ppm.

Is there a reason why you use CPAN? If adding the right repositories there
is no need for that.
3.3.1 has just been released, so first download this from the official site.
Then try the following:

1. Stop the "Windows Installer" service. This can be accomplished from the
command prompt using the following command:
c:\> net stop "Windows Installer"

2.Temporarily remove or rename PERLLIB and PERL5LIB environment variables in
the system environment.

3. Temporarily remove or rename the following registry values:

          [\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Perl] lib = <directory> (REG_SV)
          [\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Perl] sitelib = <directory>
(REG_SV)
          [\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Perl] lib-<PerlVersion> =
<directory> (REG_SV)
          [\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Perl] sitelib-<PerlVersion> =
<directory>(REG_SV)

4. Install ActivePerl 5.10 (x86)

5. Open Dos Box, type the following

        ppm remove --area perl DB_File
        ppm repo add bribes
        ppm repo add trouchelle
        ppm install Prompt-Timeout
        ppm install Net-DNS
        ppm install NetAddr-IP
        ppm install DB_File
        ppm install Mail-SPF
        ppm install IP-Country
        ppm install IO-Socket-INET6
        ppm install Mail-DKIM

6. go to SA Source and type
perl makefile.pl
nmake
nmake install

If this fails again, it has definitely nothing to do with your perl
installation or some modules.