One likely scenario may be that the spammer managed to hack into an existing
account, then use it to send out their garbage.  One way to fix that is to
ensure all humans with computer access always employ best practices for
choosing and protecting secure passwords.

Another possible scenario is the spammer created their own account just so
their spam would look more legitimate.  This is another human behavior issue
for which (like the one above) there is unlikely ever to be an acceptable
technological solution.

You're never going to stop ALL the spam, and for situations that represent, as
you said, only "a few" the effort to catch them is often more trouble than it's
worth - or the problem may just go away (the freemail host notices and closes
the account) by the time you start trying to think of a solution.

>>> Kaleb Hosie <kho...@spectraaluminum.com> 03/31/10 12:18 PM >>>
I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue with SPAM that comes from a real
yahoo or gmail account?

I've noticed a few emails get let into our organization everyday that is sent
from a free email account such as yahoo and gmail. When I do a rDNS lookup, of
the IP, it points back to a real server (not a spam server).

Here's an example of one that just got let in:
Mar 31 12:05:34 mailgate2 spamd[14709]: spamd: processing message
<39701.814...@web36505.mail.mud.yahoo.com> for apache:48
Mar 31 12:05:38 mailgate2 spamd[14709]: spamd: clean message (-0.1/4.4) for
apache:48 in 3.8 seconds, 22865 bytes.
Mar 31 12:05:38 mailgate2 spamd[14709]: spamd: result: . 0 -
DKIM_SIGNED,DKIM_VALID,DKIM_VALID_AU,FREEMAIL_FROM,HTML_MESSAGE,RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE,T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD

The subject of this is email was: "Launch of www.girlsandwomen.com & G(irls) 20
Summit Website"

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to fixing that? Thanks!

Kaleb