On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 16:29 -0400, Jason Bertoch wrote:
> I just received a FP report on a message sent from a phone via their
> text-to-email gateway.  FROM_STARTS_WITH_NUMS matched because the
> sender's address is [10-digit phone numb...@somecarrier.com.
>
> My initial instinct was to file a bug suggesting there be a check in the
> rule to see if there are 10 and only 10 numbers.  However, I quickly
> remembered SA is international software with phone numbers being various
> lengths around the globe.  I wonder how difficult it would be to make
> location specific exceptions based on RelayCountry?
>
> Thoughts or suggestions?

I had quite a bit to do with phone numbers en mass a while back. My
initial reaction is that its not easy: not only do phone numbers vary in
length between locales, but even such things as the 'international
dialing' and non-local-call prefix vary from country to country. My
guess is that determining by inspection whether the number is a phone
number probably involves a plugin and a (large) set of numbering scheme
templates. However, the domain name might help: obviously so for small,
single country telcos, but while the globotelcos will certainly have to
use national number structures in each country, do they also use
different domains for each country they operate in? My guess is that
some do and some don't.

However, there is one fairly straight forward question that can be
easily answered: has anybody ever seen an all-number mailbox/user id in
circumstances where it *isn't* a phone number?

Martin