greetings :-)

config is centos4 SA 3.3.1 upgraded from SA 3.2.5

having spent the better part of a two days searching as well as trying
different configs and SA restarts

no good results

we do not have a "hardware horsepower" resource starvation issue

this machine does *not* use SQL for Spamassassin at this time

i have tried many different possible SPAMDOPTIONS for SA startup for regular
and round-robin and thrown tons of hardware and software resources at the
issue

in the /home/spamd/.spamassassin directory we have

bayes_journal
bayes_mutex
bayes_seen
bayes_toks

in reference to the error

spamd[30339]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
/home/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed: Interrupted system call

what is bayes_mutex  ?

is bayes_seen necessary ?  (i seem to recall it is not and can be deleted)

if bayes_seen is large, isnt that the file we can delete and it will not
make a difference?

i did back up the database using sa-learn before the upgrade...

should i stop spamd, restore bayes info and then restart spamd ?

other options to preserve bayes?

...or should i stop SA, whack the files, and restart and retrain?

tia

 - rh

notes:

when using flock as the file locking in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf we
get

spamd[2489]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
/home/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed: Interrupted system call
spamd[2489]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
/home/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed: Interrupted system call

when using default SA locking method we get this error

spamd[19334]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
/home/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed: File exists
spamd[19337]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
/home/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed: File exists